The school is governed by a School Board comprising parent representatives, a teacher representative and the Principal. The Ministry of Education requires schools to have a Board which is structured in this way to ensure the interests of the wider school community are represented.
Representative members are generally elected for a three-year term through Board elections, which are held every 18 months as our school runs a staggered cycle to ensure continuity of good governance.
Some key roles of the Board are to:
- set the vision of the school through the School Charter, in consultation with staff, parents and students
- ensure that the school provides a safe environment and quality education for the students
- approve the school’s annual budget and report its operation to the community
- govern the management of personnel, property, finance and administration
- support the Principal as the Professional Leader and Chief Executive Officer of the Board
- liaise closely with the community, particularly through key groups such as the school’s Home and School Association and Whanau Group.
The Principal and staff are responsible for delivering on the Charter and Annual Plans, as the overriding guides to the management of the school.
The vision of Island Bay School values the close partnership between staff, parents and students. The Board encourages parents to become involved in the school whether in the classroom, assisting on school trips, through Home & School Association, Whanau Group or Board governance. Direct, immediate, and open communication is encouraged. When problems arise we seek to resolve them face to face in a respectful manner.
The educational leadership and management of the school is the responsibility of the Principal. The Board welcomes communication from parents in relation to the overall governance of the school. We will review and respond to any correspondence regularly. Please note, there are a number of important documents available for download. These include the School Charter, Annual Plan and Complaints Policy. Go to Policy and Procedure Documents.
Parents are welcome to attend Board meetings, held monthly at the school. Check the school calendar or ask the office staff for meeting dates. Copies of minutes, agendas and reports are also available at the school office or from the Board secretary Amy Austin.
For more information on Boards of Trustees go to www.nzsta.org.nz
If you wish to contact the Board of Trustees please email email@example.com
Ashleigh Edwards – Staff Representative
Charlie Christi – Parent Representative
Crissie Jamieson – Deputy Presiding Member
Deborah Fenton – Principal
Devon Heaphy – Presiding Member
Emily Watt – Parent Representative
Matthew Palliser – Parent Representative
Meeting Dates 2023