Enrolment Scheme Description (Effective from 07 November 2005)
The guidelines for development and operation of enrolment schemes are issued under section 11G (3) of the Education Act 1989 for the purpose of describing the basis on which the Secretary’s powers in relation to enrolment schemes will be exercised.
All students who live within the home zone described below (and shown on the attached map) shall be eligible to enrol at the school.
- The home zone is bounded in the south by The Esplanade, between and including properties located at numbers 172 and 396.
- The home zone is bounded in the west by the westernmost boundaries of the westernmost properties with direct access to:
The Esplanade (At number 396)
Severn Street South (up to and including numbers 83 and 88)
- In the North, the zone is bounded by the southernmost boundaries of Berhampore Golf Course and Wakefield Park. All of Adelaide Road is Excluded.
- In the east, the zone is bounded by the easternmost boundaries of the easternmost properties with direct access to:
Melrose Road (up to and including number 64)
The Esplanade (at numbers 172 to 178)
This priority category is not applicable at this school because the school does not run a Special programme approved by the Secretary.
Download the Enrolment Out of Zone Requirements Here
Download the Out of Zone Ballot Application Here
Use this online tool to find out whether your house is within our zone.
Pre-school visits and Enrolment
Parents and children are encouraged to visit before beginning school. Once your child is pre-enrolled, your child’s Guardian Teacher will contact you in the month before their fifth birthday to arrange some pre-school visits or feel free to email the school to arrange some visits.
Island Bay School is zoned, which means that children can enrol at our school if they live within our local area.
Take a tour
Prospective parents and their children are always welcome to come to look around our exciting learning environments. If you are interested in finding out more about Island Bay School please call to arrange a time to meet a member of our Leadership Team and take a tour of the school.
If you live in the Island Bay School zone (see link to the left), please email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- your name and contact details,
- your child’s full legal name,
- your child’s date of birth,
- and attach proof of your address (e.g. utility bill).
Once your address has been verified, you will be emailed a link to complete a digital enrolment application form.
Closer to your child’s start date, a staff member will be in contact to arrange school visits.
Once your child has turned four years old, please contact us via email@example.com.
Pre-enrolling ahead of time helps us to plan classes for the year ahead.
Out of Zone Enrolments
Each year the Board of Trustees will determine the number of places which are likely to be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. The Board will publish this information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for enrolments will be processed in the following order of priority:
- First Priority This priority is not applicable at this school because the school does not run a special programme approved by the Secretary for Education.
- Second Priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
- Third Priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
- Fourth Priority will be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
- Fifth Priority will be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the board of the school or a child of a member of the board of the school.
- Sixth Priority will be given to all other applicants.
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth or fifth priority groups than there are places available, Selection within the priority group will be by ballot conducted in accordance with instructions by the Secretary. Under Section 11G (1) on the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
Applicants seeking second or third priority status may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
What to expect on your child's first day
On your child’s first day, they will need to bring:
- their school bag
- lunch including a fruit snack, morning tea and lunch
- drink bottle
- sunhat (in Terms 1 & 4)
- a spare set of clothes can be useful for junior students
Please make sure all their belongings are named.
Stationary packs can be purchased from the office on the day.
Bring your child to the School Office by 8.45am where you will be directed to your child’s class.
Teachers are rostered to supervise children in the playground during morning tea break and lunchtime.
Junior students (New entrants, Y1s, Y2s) will remain in class to be collected unless parents have made an alternative arrangement with the teacher.
Children in the grounds after school need to be supervised by parents/whānau/caregivers.
What else do I need to know?
See the Information & Housekeeping page on our website for:
- details on office hours
- how the school day runs
- how the school is organised
- how to make payments and give permission
We hold a pōwhiri each term to welcome new families and staff to our school. New people are given support and taught correct protocol from staff and students. More information on this and our other Te Reo programmes can be found on our Whanau website page.
Enrichment programmes & Extracurricular activities
Island Bay School offers a range of enrichment programmes for our students that add to our regular curriculum and provide children with opportunities.
We also offer a number of optional activities that children can choose to participate in. Teachers will talk to children about these programmes in class to see who is interested, however we encourage you to also talk to your children about these options.
See a summary of what’s on offer here.
Wellbeing, Health & Safety
The wellbeing, health and safety of our students, staff and school community is our top priority at Island Bay School.